Can You Sue a Workers’ Compensation Company?
Workers’ compensation is in place to help cover the costs of injuries that occur on the job. The workers’ compensation system is not based on fault but on providing financial compensation for your losses. That does not mean every situation is equal. There are times when the workers’ compensation company gets it wrong and denies coverage to you. When that happens, you may wonder, can you sue a workers’ compensation company for your losses?
At Dawson & Rosenthal, P.C., our bad faith insurance attorneys recognize how frustrating these situations are. That is why we aim to fight insurance companies and others who put you at risk. You can sue a workers’ compensation company if you believe they should be covering your claim and they are not.
What You Have to Do
To receive compensation for your losses, you need to:
- Report your injury to your employer
- Get medical care and follow through on the recommended care
- Provide information about your incident to the workers’ compensation company
- Meet the deadline requirements
- Meet all qualifications for a workers’ compensation claim, such as the injury occurring as a result of and while at work
If you do everything you are supposed to and you are still denied the claim, that is when it is best to seek out the help of a trusted, experienced workers’ compensation attorney like ours.
Do They Have to Pay for Your Care?
There are many ways a company may try to reduce what they pay out. Here are some examples:
- They may refuse to provide coverage for a specific type of care or service you received.
- They may try to claim you did not hurt yourself at work, but rather it was a pre-existing condition.
- Some insurance companies send you a check for compensation quickly, often for less than what you are owed.
- They may use social media or statements you make to prove that you are not hurt.
- Some insurance companies may refuse to pay out because they claim you did not provide enough information.
Whenever possible, our workers’ compensation attorneys will work to prove your case and settle out of court with the company. This is often the easiest route to take, but there are times when the company simply will not agree to the terms. We will go to court when you know you deserve more – and our attorneys can help you prove it.
Suing a workers’ compensation company is not simple and can be rather difficult because they have high-powered attorneys working for them. That is why you need our team to be there for you.
Contact Our Team for a Consultation Now
When you call Dawson & Rosenthal, P.C., we will provide you with a free consultation to gather some information about your case and inform you if we feel you may wish to pursue a lawsuit against the company. This is the best way to find out if we can help you and what you can expect going forward. Do not wait to give us a call for a consultation.