Call Toll Free (800) 598-5017

Dawson and Rosenthal
Dawson and Rosenthal

Tips for getting a fair insurance payment for wildfire damages

You have lost your home to the devastation of the recent California wildfires, and you are wondering what to do next. One of the biggest questions on your mind is probably how to file an insurance claim and receive the payment that you need to rebuild your home. Like most policyholders, you probably anticipate that your insurance provider will offer you a settlement that is large enough to rebuild your house and replace your possessions. But this is not always the case. As we discussed in a recent post, insurance companies do not always play fair with their clients.

Although insurance companies frequently try to lowball their policyholders, there are some things that you can do to try to receive a fair settlement. These are a few tips that you can use to get your insurance provider to give you a fair payment regarding your wildfire-related damages.

  • Write down your claim number

Writing down your claim number is a small detail that can make a big difference. Your claim number is how the insurance company locates your file. If you have this number on hand every time you talk to your adjuster, the process can be much faster.

  • Maintain good records

One of the best things that you can do is to keep good records of your property damage. It is harder for an insurance company to deny a claim that is backed by meticulous, detailed evidence. Record the costs for any damaged possessions, repairs, living arrangements and meals. In addition, document the exchanges that you have with your insurance adjuster.

  • Don’t back down

The process of filing a claim can be tedious. If you are also dealing with the fallout of losing your home, it may seem overwhelming. But you should know that you are entitled to the compensation that your policy promises. Don’t give up, and don’t settle for less than you deserve. An insurance lawyer can advocate for you if the insurance company continues to act in bad faith.